The Association of Great Lakes Outdoor Writers High School Scholarship Committee is currently seeking nominations for 2019. The winner will be announced at the 2019 AGLOW conference in Lacrosse, Wisconsin and will receive $500.
This scholarship is meant to further the organization’s mission through youth activities related to hunting, fishing, conservation or the shooting sports. With recruitment, retention and reactivation becoming buzzwords in the industry the last five years, doing our part at AGLOW to instill our hunting, angling, conservation and shooting heritage in high schoolers across the country and to help them continue to pursue these activities lies at the core of who we all are as sportsmen and women.
In order for a club to be considered, it must meet the following criteria:
– Consist of mostly high school students
– Be a hunting, angling, conservation or shooting club or state-sanctioned team
– Have not received the scholarship in the last five years
– Demonstrate a financial need
– Be able to provide a mission statement or document explaining the club or team’s mission
– Provide a public service in their respective community
Judging will be based on these criteria:
– Financial need
– Mission and reach
– Alignment with AGLOW’s core principles of communicating about and promoting outdoor sports and conservation
– Community engagement by club members
Examples of clubs or teams considered could be high school fishing teams, trap teams, conservation clubs, archery teams and groups focused on habitat improvement for game or non-game species. This list is not exhaustive, and it is merely a representation of several examples that could be considered.
Teams must submit a 200- to 500-word essay explaining why they are eligible for this scholarship, how it will positively impact their club or team, if they have performed any public service and what their mission is.
Please pass this opportunity on to youth shooting, hunting, conservation or angling clubs or teams in your area. Applications can be emailed to AGLOW High School Grant Committee Chair Nick Green at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application period will be extended until July 31. If you are interested in serving on the committee and helping to decide a winner in August, please contact Green.